What is ISO 50001
ISO 50001 is a voluntary international standard. It applies to organisations of any size, and provides requirements for establishing, managing and improving their energy consumption and efficiency.
ISO 50001 is designed to be compatible and harmonised with other system standards, such as ISO 14001 for environmental management systems and ISO 9001 for quality management systems. It is therefore ideal for integrating into existing management systems and processes such as environmental, and health and safety.
• ISO 50001 assists facilities in evaluating and prioritizing the implementation of new energy-efficient technologies and in improving energy efficiency, energy use and consumption. It also creates transparency and facilitates communication on the management of energy resources.
• It promotes energy management best practices and behaviors and provides a framework for promoting energy efficiency throughout the supply chain and facilitates energy management improvements for greenhouse gas emission reduction projects.
Benefits of becoming certified
Certifying your energy management system to the ISO 50001 standard may benefit your organisation in many ways. A certified management system confirms that you are working structured and strategically to reduce the organisation’s environmental footprint, and that you are committed to further improvement of environmental management.
Certification to the standard can contribute to:
• Improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, use and energy consumption..
• Reducing environmental impact, including greenhouse gas emissions without affecting operations and simultaneously increasing profitability.
• Continual improvement of the energy management systems.
• Ensuring measurement, documentation, reporting and benchmarking of energy consumption.
• Credible market communication about energy performance efforts.